Planning your move is the key to success! At Buehler Companies, we understand that moving is already stressful enough. So we have provided you with a guide loaded with great moving tips to help you to plan your move. We hope this helps guide you through the key time frames and keep you organized.
Moving Tips-6 Weeks before the move out day:
Start getting the details of your move organized! This checklist will help you to keep it all together!
- Make a move file – This will be the place where you will keep everything handy and in one place. When you are moving, it’s easy to misplace paper, business cards, etc.
- Take the time to stop at www.irs.gov to educate yourself on tax deductible moving expenses! This can save you a great deal of money on your move.
- Contact your insurance company to transfer your insurance (Property, Fire, Auto, etc…)
- Gather your important documents into one place (birth certificates, titles, stocks, photos, jewelry, etc…) anything that is irreplaceable so these items do not get packed in an unknown box.
- Get your mail moving by changing your address with the post office.
- Contact clubs, associations and any other company that needs to know and advise them of your move so they can update your contact information.
- Make your travel arrangements (hotels, flights, rental cars, etc…)
- Create a floor plan of your new home and figure out where you would like your items placed in your new home.
Moving Tips-4-5 Weeks before the move out day:
Look at what you own!
- Decide what needs to go with you and what you would like the moving company to move. Set aside the items in a different area that you do not want the movers to touch and clearly label these items.
- Make a list of the items that you would like the movers to move, leave behind, dispose of and the items that you will be moving yourself.
- Make a list of the items that you would like to go to your charity of choice. Inform your moving company if you will need them to move these items for you.
- Think about a garage sale. This is a great way to get rid of unwanted items and make a little bit of cash that will help pay for some of your moving expenses as well as reduce the amount of items that you will have to pay the movers to move.
- Include your children in the move planning. Make it fun by having them draw their new room layout. Ask your mover for a “My Move” packet for kids.
- It’s always a good idea to let the movers do most of the packing so that items are kept safe. Decide what items that you would like professionally packed.
- If you are going to pack yourself, start collecting suitable boxes and packing materials for your move.
- If you decide to pack your own items, ask your moving company for a “Do-It Yourself Packing Guide”
- If you have delicate items, please contact your sales representative on packing options and pricing for them.
Moving Tips-3 Weeks before the move out day:
Working with your moving company
- Make sure to tell your moving company if you add items or reduce the items expected to be moved. This can affect cost and truck size.
- If you have kids, arrange to have a sitter watch them on the day of the move. You will already have enough on your mind to concentrate on.
- Clear off tables and work surfaces and be sure to place rakes, shovels, hoses and yard items all in one place so they are not missed in the move.
- Collect your valuable items and clearly mark the box so that you know which box it is. This will be better off moved by you personally than any moving company.
- Most states prohibit the moving of plants and most plants do not live if they are being transported. We recommend that you plan to relocate your plants yourself if you wish to take them with you.
- Don’t forget to return library books and anything else that you might have borrowed.
- Cancel your newspaper delivery.
Moving Tips-2 Weeks before your move out day:
Start preparing the items that you don’t use as often
- Make your final packing decisions
- Clean and clear out closets, basements, attic’s and crawl spaces
- Plan meals that will use up the food in your freezer
- Have your automobile oil changed if you plan on traveling by car
- Make sure your prescriptions were transferred
- Check your safety deposit boxes. Call your banks and transfer your accounts
- Drain all of the oil and gas out of your lawnmower
- Place all non-toxic and non-flammable cleaning supplies into a plastic sealable tote.
- Have your appliances (Washer, Dryer & Icemaker) serviced or ask your moving company sales representative to help you!
- Dispose of flammables, fireworks, gas, oil, etc… these items are not safe to relocate
- Back up all of your computer files just in case
Moving Tips-1 Week before your move out day:
Tie up the loose ends
- Arrange to have all utilities disconnected on the day of your move and reconnected at your new home
- Make sure that all of the items that you are taking with you for the move are located in one place and clearly marked.
- Start planning to pack your suitcase with essentials. Always pack extra in case of unexpected things like a delayed flight.
- Make sure your moving company has more than one way to contact you. Update them with additional phone numbers just in case.
- Empty, defrost and clean your refrigerator.
- Prepare a “trip kit” (toilet paper, travel alarm clock, snacks, bottled water, first aid kit, etc…)
Moving Tips-Move Out Day
Take a look around
- Make sure the bedding goes into a box marked “load last” so that it comes off the truck first and is ready for your beds at the new home.
- Accompany the driver as they tag and inventory all of your items that need to go onto the truck.
- Make a final inspection of the house prior to allowing the truck to leave
- Make sure your vacuum is packing last so you can do a final run through of your floors prior to leaving.
- Check to be sure light switches are all turned off
- Check the furnace and air conditioner to be sure they are turned off
- Is your water shut off?
- All closets checks?
- All utilities switched over?
- Are all windows locked?
- Are all of your doors locked and the garage?
- Don’t forget to leave the keys and garage door openers inside the home for the new tenants
We hope that this will help ease your moving process. Thank you for using Buehler Companies as your relocation partner! Please don’t hesitate to call us if you have additional questions.
Buehler Companies (Denver Office)
16456 E. Airport Circle
Aurora, CO 80011
Denver Office Moving Website
Buehler Transfer and Storage (Fort Worth Office)
633 Mony Street
Fort Worth, TX 76102
Fort Worth Texas Moving Office
Alliance Relocation (Colorado Springs Office)
2545 Carmel Drive
Colorado Springs, CO 80910
Colorado Springs Moving Company